A blog by Luke Akehurst about politics, elections, and the Labour Party - With subtitles for the Hard of Left. Just for the record: all the views expressed here are entirely personal and do not necessarily represent the positions of any organisations I am a member of.

Friday, August 18, 2006

N16 in NYT

This article by a Stoke Newington resident was in the New York Times earlier this week http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/13/opinion/13goldfarb.html?_r=2&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

It sums up everything that's uniquely good about Hackney as a multicultural community and what that means in a world that looks increasingly like it is sliding into conflict.

My baby son plays on the swings that Goldfarb writes about his daughter using (I have a photo of him sat in a swing in Clissold Park in front of me on my PC as I write this) and goes to the One O'Clock Club in the same park.

Goldfarb's conclusion "Someday soon, someone with an inability to value what is precious about Clissold Park will commit the act that shatters this small world and drives all of us into our corners" was the bleakest thing I have read for a long time.

I hope he is wrong, but I fear he may be right.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, aren't you the smug one! In Dalston there are no parks or playgrounds. We had hopes of one but they have been dashed by corrupt Labour councillors and greedy property developers. Your smugness sickens me!

2:39 pm, August 18, 2006

 
Blogger Luke Akehurst said...

Try catching any bus going north up the A10. Get off at Church Street and walk along it (or get a 73 and get off just before Albion Road). You can't miss the park. Or alternatively walk to London Fields which is even nearer. A relaxing sit in the park might help you chill out and stop being so rude.

2:58 pm, August 18, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Getting my family to catch a bus to get to a park might (or might not) help us "chill" but it won't cure your smugness!

Anyway, your links don't work either!

1:34 pm, August 19, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Free Hit Counters
OfficeDepot Discount