A blog by Luke Akehurst about politics, elections, and the Labour Party - With subtitles for the Hard of Left. Just for the record: all the views expressed here are entirely personal and do not necessarily represent the positions of any organisations I am a member of.

Tuesday, January 30, 2007

What readers seem to want

What readers seem to want ... is second hand leaked documents already stuck on Tory blogs...

Yesterday's Hain leak post is now the second most recommended post ever on bloggers for Labour: http://www.bloggers4labour.org/recommended.jsp

and got 556 hits, which I think is the highest readership I've ever had in a single day.

Whilst carefully thought out analysis that takes me ages to write just doesn't seem to gets the hits.

Matthew Tempest on the Guardian newsblog meanwhile describes me as "a reliable barometer of the über-New Labour mood". I'm not sure that is really the tag I want attached to my name for internal Labour Party purposes, but I think it was meant as a compliment, so thankyou Matthew.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Birmingham Post picks up on the story today (not available online yet). I notice no hat tip to any blogs.

30 January 2007
Birmingham Post


Labour party officials and a party whip are secretly backing Peter Hain's bid to become Labour's next deputy leader, leaked details from his campaign team have revealed.


Mr Hain's bid to replace John Prescott as Labour's second-in-command suffered a major setback with the embarrassing leak of his campaign strategy.

The paper, which was never meant to become public, reveals that Worcester MP Mike Foster is a signed-up supporter - even though he must remain strictly neutral, in his role as a party whip.

And the document names party officials, who are also expected to remain impartial. The campaign plan sets out the need to identify "heads" of "constituencies" of Labour members, including women and people from ethnic minorities.

It names Leicester East MP Keith Vaz as the person who will deliver ethnic minority votes.

But a source for Mr Vaz last night insisted it was "not true" he had joined the campaign. A spokesman for Peter Hain 's campaign admitted the document was genuine, but tried to downplay its significance.

Mr Foster insisted he was remaining neutral as a party whip. He said: "I have told Peter, and all the other candidates, that I will not declare a preference.

"It is part of my job that I need to treat all the candidates equally."

However Birmingham MP Richard Burden (Lab Northfield), listed in the document as a Hain supporter, also rejected the suggestion.

He said: "I'm not saying I won't support Peter Hain eventually, but at this stage I am looking at what the candidates have to offer."

9:14 am, January 30, 2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

henryg, the story is also in the Belfast Telegraph (and they hat tipped Guido blog)
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/article2198654.ece
The Belfast Telegraph piece includes the "The Hain camp and Labour's General Secretary Peter Watt last night denied that any Labour Party staff are working on the campaign" line

11:24 am, January 30, 2007

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Free Hit Counters
OfficeDepot Discount