A blog by Luke Akehurst about politics, elections, and the Labour Party - With subtitles for the Hard of Left. Just for the record: all the views expressed here are entirely personal and do not necessarily represent the positions of any organisations I am a member of.

Friday, February 16, 2007

In praise of Hattersley

I never thought I'd write the words "in praise of Roy Hattersley" but I thought compared to his rather negative journalistic pieces in the Guardian he was brilliant on Question Time last night. I didn't agree with everything he said but the contrast between his intelligent and humane approach to the issues compared with fellow panelists Norman Tebbit and Richard Littlejohn was a timely reminder of the real dividing lines in politics.

It made me think what a better country this would be now, and how many people would have been saved the misery of poverty and unemployment in the '80s, if we had had Healey, then Hattersley, then John Smith as our prime ministers rather than Thatcher and Major.

And I agreed with him on the nuclear power consultation issue - he said words to the effect that Governments should run for election on a clear policy platform, do what was in their manifesto, and then if people don't like it they can vote them out - you can't expect to consult and get a consensus on controversial issues.

7 Comments:

Blogger HenryG said...

Anyone can say they'd prefer Healey and Smith over Major and Thatcher. Luke, I'd like to know who would you have preferred as Labour leader in 97 - Smith or Blair? I'm a Smith man every time.

12:36 pm, February 16, 2007

 
Blogger Luke Akehurst said...

I would have preferred Kinnock to have stayed on after '92 ... that's what I was saying at the time.

My personal politics are objectively probably nearer to Smith but I felt we drifted a bit -expected to win with one more heave - in the 2 years he was leader and Blair probably made the difference between what we got - us getting 2 landslides and enough cushion for a 3rd win, and a scenario of maybe a 50 seat majority then a hung parliament in 01.

4:44 pm, February 16, 2007

 
Blogger kris said...

Luke

When was the last time you wrote someting about hackney or your ward?

With so much going on at the moment, there's plenty of material...

9:36 pm, February 18, 2007

 
Blogger Manchester University Labour Club said...

Hattersley was very good. Particuarly when he talked about education and why we still have problems with social mobility.

11:17 pm, February 18, 2007

 
Blogger Luke Akehurst said...

Kris

February 12 - post about being unhappy that the Old Town Hall (actually in Hackney Central Ward) is being converted into a betting shop.

Had I had internet access over the weekend I would have written something about the fact a guy was shot in Homerton High Street in the heart of my ward - not sure there is a lot I can now add to the extensive news coverage.

7:59 am, February 19, 2007

 
Blogger kris said...

yes, you did write on use class issues once.

It's just that i have noticed your attention has veered away from Hackney of late.

4:40 pm, February 19, 2007

 
Blogger Luke Akehurst said...

Just for you Kris I will try to do some more Hackney-related posts.

6:36 pm, February 19, 2007

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Free Hit Counters
OfficeDepot Discount