A blog by Luke Akehurst about politics, elections, and the Labour Party - With subtitles for the Hard of Left. Just for the record: all the views expressed here are entirely personal and do not necessarily represent the positions of any organisations I am a member of.

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Health Update

Regular readers will know that I spent nearly half of last year in hospital being treated for POEMS syndrome, a rare neurological condition caused by antibodies produced by a bone marrow cancer, and that as a consequence I'm currently a wheelchair user (though making a steady physical recovery thanks to the community physiotherapy team in Hackney).

Today I went to UCH on Euston Road and got the results from a PET/CT scan I had earlier this month. It was good news - I still have a tumour, but it is continuing to shrink from the after effects of radiotherapy - I hadn't realised that the treatment can continue to produce results for up to two years. This means I won't have to have chemotherapy now - which would have put me back in hospital for two months as well as having a mortality risk associated with it - and won't have to so long as my physical recovery continues.

So the next few months look like being a bit more focused on politics and less on medical procedures than they could have been.


Anonymous proudvotinglabour said...

Great news Luke, hope it all continues to get better as quickly as possible.

9:31 am, January 22, 2010

Anonymous M said...

Excellent news, Luke. Wishing you all the best in your recovery and with your local election campaigning.

11:19 am, January 22, 2010

Anonymous Dan said...

Luke, that's really good news. We're both thinking of you.


12:06 pm, January 22, 2010

Blogger Martin Meenagh said...

Excellent, keep right on to the end of the road

6:12 pm, January 22, 2010


Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
OfficeDepot Discount